More than $12,000 in Strong Grants have been awarded to improve opportunities for Penn Manor students and their families. Here are the projects:
- $7,000 to pay for uniforms, tools, equipment and supplies for disadvantaged students attending Lancaster County Career & Technology Center programs.
- $2,500 to help students with financial difficulties pay fees for college applications, SAT tests and advanced-placement tests.
- $1,800 to distribute free books to disadvantaged students in the Pheasant Ridge and Manor Heights neighborhoods and to support the Lancaster County Bookmobile.
- $1,000 to support the Penn Manor Family Fund, which provides food, shelter, transportation and medical assistance for families in need.
Read more here.
More than $48,000 worth of classroom Venture Grants were awarded in fall 2016 to benefit Penn Manor teachers and students. Grants for the following teachers were approved for 2016-2017:
- Maria Vita, HS, “Learning About Abusive Dating Relationships” presentation
- Shelly Kyle, Central Manor, “Scrambled States” geography game
- Molly Miller, HS, “Rapid Prototyping in Computer Science and Engineering”
- Kay Kane, Hambright, “Headphones”
- Jenna Moyer, Letort, “First in Math for Grades 5 and 6”
- Kelly Sproul, Eshleman, “Differentiated Stations to Enhance Fine Motor Skills in Kindergarten”
- Deb Meckley, HS, “Freshman Transition Mentoring” program
- Anthony Carrodo, HS, “Breakout EDU Boxes”
- Kerry Bushong, Martic, “Flexible Seating”
- Christina Beard, Conestoga, “Guided Reading Materials”
- Dawn Janssen, Martic, “Bowling Equipment”
- Charleton King, HS, “Digital Physics Interfaces”
- Melissa Mulder, Martic, “I Spy Science” document cameras
- Pam Noll, Central Manor, “Chair Organizers”
- Amy D’Amico, Manor Middle, “Project STEM Enhanced” Makerspace materials
- Sara Masten, HS “Percussion Project Continuation”
- Lauren Ciemiewicz, HS, “All That Jazz” ensemble materials
- Megan Miller, Conestoga, “Playaway Bookpacks”
- Meridith Eckroat, Conestoga, “Traveling Trunk Outreach Program”
- Jonathan Hess, HS, “Precision Measurement Tools” for Ag Mechanics and Engines courses
- Jeffrey Taylor, HS, “The Thinking Library Collection: Puzzles, Brain Games and Building Materials”
- Kyle Bulicz, HS, “Sustainability: A Biology and Chemistry STEM Approach”
- Tamara Baker, Conestoga, “Environmental Education Day” at Lancaster County Park
- Debra Goodhart, Marticville, “’Book Scavenger’ Reading Activity”
- Erick Dutchess, HS, “Science Honor Society/AP Environmental Science Bat Box Project”
- Jodi Swartz-Rankin, HS, “Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction” (presented through Wellness Works in Schools)
- Meagan Slates, HS, “CASE Plant Science Supplies”
- Tonya Beck, HS, “Water Quality Testing Equipment”
- Richard Bodde, Eshleman, “Eshleman Shoots for the Moon: Bringing Families Together with STEM” rocket project
- Andrew Johnson, HS, “Percussion Ensemble Development”
- Sallie Bookman, HS, “TEAMS (Tests of Engineering Aptitude Math and Science) Design Challenge”
- Jen Sugra, Martic, ”Kindergarten Resource for Connecting to Families”
- Katie Lutz, Hambright, “Building a Culturally Responsive Book Closet”
- Erick Dutchess, HS, “Environmental Science Aparist Project”
- Jeffrey Himes, HS, “PMTV HD Cameras”
- Kathleen Ashworth, Central Manor, “CoLibri e-Leonardo Book Covering Machine”
- Donna Brady, HS, “Removing Barriers to a Successful Future” (financial assistance for ACT, SAT and AP exam and college application fees)
Read more here.
Below is a listing of awarded venture grants from previous years in PDF format.
Venture Grants are supported by:
Community civic and service organizations
School district staff
Other charitable foundations
Penn Manor Education Foundation also has funded the following projects and many more:
- Penn Manor Districtwide Readathon
- Parent Resource Centers at several elementary schools.
- Artist-in-Residence (authors, performers).
- Hands-on study of marine life and aquatic vegetation.
- Purchase of elementary school musical instruments.
- Purchase of the latest technology at all academic levels.
- Equipment for the Penn Manor High School TV station